Sunday, May 16, 2010

What has Paleo done for me lately?





Today, instead of putting up links to complicated scientific studies to show the benefits of switching to a paleolithic eating plan, I'm going to get personal and talk about some of the benefits I have seen in my own life.

Keep in mind that I'm not eating 100% paleo 365 days a year, but when I am the following benefits are more pronounced. There is a direct correlation between how close I stick to the plan and the degree to which the benefits are noticeable.

Benefit 1 - Getting Lean


The more paleo I am, the leaner I get. It's a rather dramatic effect. It's also independent of my exercise routine. Earlier this year (following the winter holiday season) I was pretty far from eating a pure paleo diet. I got in the habit of eating more breads, pasta, and baked snacks (e.g. cookies) than I normally eat - and it showed in my midsection. I wasn't really fat by average American standards, and by no means as heavy as I was 10 years ago, but I added a good 10 lbs of fat. Mostly around the waist and belly (typical). During this time I was engaging in a regular program of exercise about 5 days a week, with some intense sessions and some low-level exercise. Still, the fat was accumulating. So during the March/April time frame I switched back to a paleo eating style, and kept it at about 80-90% compliance. That means most of my meals were paleo, but a couple a week were "cheat meals" where I relaxed the rules a bit. Over the next few weeks that added fat melted away at an amazing rate - it was visibly noticeable in the first week. By the end of April I had dropped about 10 lbs without any noticeable loss of lean muscle. It's interesting to note that this all occurred while maintaining the same workout routine. In other words, eating paleo melted off the excess fat without any change in the amount or type of exercise. Even if you don't exercise at all, changing your eating habits to a paleo plan will make you more lean.

Benefit 2 - Feeling Great


This one is harder to quantify since there are no numbers on a scale by which to measure it, but trust me - it's real. What do I mean by feeling great? It means a significant decrease in minor aches and pains - like those annoying feelings you sometimes get upon first waking up once you reach a certain age. It also means a higher energy level throughout the day - the kind where you feel like going for a quick run, climbing a rock wall, doing yard work, or hitting the gym, and really looking forward to it. Or doing inverted hangs on the playground equipment while relaxing with the kids, as illustrated above. Basically less sluggishness and more desire to move and play.

Benefit 3 - Not Being Sick


This one probably ties in closely with #2, but it's pretty important. When I'm on the paleo plan, I seem to have a lot less problems with allergies, sinus infections, gastro-intestinal issues, and skin problems. There's actually a lot of scientific research in these areas that show benefits of a paleolithic diet in reducing or halting various disease processes. For me, it's enough to know that I have better digestion, better skin, and fewer headaches and sniffles when I'm eating right.

Benefit 4 - Better Performance

When I'm chowing on lots of meats, vegetables, fruits and healthy fats I see an improvement in my workouts. I'm stronger, faster, and have more endurance. I also have better recovery after a hard workout - I'm less sore and I feel ready to get right back at it more quickly.

Benefit 5 - Better Sleep

Sleep quality improves on a diet free of refined sugars, grains and dairy. I fall asleep faster, sleep more deeply, and wake up more rested and refreshed when I'm doing paleo. Of course, this makes a difference in the rest of my day too. I'm pretty picky about my sleep and not getting enough or not getting good quality sleep makes the rest of my day a less pleasant experience all around. I know I can avoid all that by sticking to the plan.

Benefit 6 - Less Hunger


Yes, eating quality proteins, fats and vegetables is more satisfying than filling up on refined grains and other carb-overdose foods. After a decent meal I can go a long time before feeling hungry, and I don't get those unpleasant crashes and gnawing sensations. Protein and fat is slower burning and just seems to last longer in the system. People on paleo tend to eat less overall because the cravings and snacking that are part of a high-carb lifestyle go away.

Benefit 7 - Better Moods


Now this may be partially due to all of the above - I mean who wouldn't be in a better mood if they were enjoying the benefits above? But there are also studies that suggest a meat, vegetable, fruit and fat diet with a better omega-3 content can reduce the incidence of depression. From personal experience I can definitely say I feel more "up" when I'm on track food-wise than when I'm eating junk.

Benefit 8 - Looking Good


Given that I'm less fat, more muscular, less sleep-deprived, have better skin and general health, it's really no surprise that I tend to look better and more fit on a paleo diet. I just like the way I look in the mirror when I'm eating right. Maybe it's trivial or superficial, but for most people this one benefit outweighs all the others. And really it's not so superficial when you think about it - the improvement in outward appearance is a direct result of the numerous internal health improvements one enjoys when eating the way our bodies evolved to eat.

What else is there?

So those are a few of the reasons I like following a paleolithic lifestyle. I probably neglected to include a few of the many things I like about being paleo, but really isn't it enough to feel, look and perform better than before? These benefits are more significant to most folks than all the scientific research on how much better off you'll be on a biochemical level, even though they're really just the outward reflection of the improvements within.

2 comments:

  1. I can only speak anecdotally, but No. 3, Level of Sickness/Health, I believe has improved for me when I'm being Pretty Paleo. I was often sick when I lived over a decade in NYC. And that was long before paleo/Crossfit. And again my first few years in Austin. So my frequent sickenesses were independent of locale, I believe.
    So I agree: it seems I'm sick less often nowadays. (But, good gravy, I sure do miss bagels.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes sense. When you eat a lot of inflammation and immune-response triggering foods (dairy, grain) it's going to have an impact on how you feel, how you react to infections, and possibly most significantly how your react to allergens. I know my allergy issues have dropped to almost nothing this season while many around me are having one of the worst times in memory.

    ReplyDelete